Managing Director, 1776 in HqO @ 16Tech Innovation Hub
1776 fosters the growth of regional entrepreneurial ecosystems by providing individualized attention through focused programming, community engagement and access to a dynamic network of stakeholders. As a national leader in business incubation, we exist to create a world where anyone with the entrepreneurial drive can gain equal access to the resources needed to foster innovation and solve real world problems.
We are partnering with 16 Tech Innovation District (16 Tech) to transform the former Indianapolis Water Company facility into HqO — a new startup hub that will accelerate regional growth and global impact of Indianapolis, IN. The 100,000+ square-foot HqO, currently under construction — and comprised of offices, garage studios, suites, flexible work desks, meeting/event spaces, a makerspace and an artisan marketplace — will be a hub for transformative work in advanced technologies, fabrication, business, consumer and social innovation, Indy’s dynamic food and artisan scene and enhanced equity for the neighborhoods that border 16 Tech.
1776 is looking for a highly qualified individual to join our team as Managing Director at 1776 Indy. This is an opportunity to help us shape the future of innovation and entrepreneurship that blooms from the Central Indiana region and impacts the globe. HqO at 16 Tech will be 1776’s first physical presence in the Midwest, and the Managing Director will have an exciting, key role in the expansion of our impact and brand in America’s Heartland. The Managing Director will be the operations, management and reporting lead of 1776 in HqO. They will report to 1776 Chief of Staff and will supervise a team of 2 people, to include a Community Manager and a Community Associate.
HqO members will join 1776’s national membership network and feature access to mentoring and coaching, thought leadership, peer networking and other collaborative activations, to enhance the experiences of tenants, nearby professionals and residents. HqO will also feature Machyne — a state of the art makerspace and the AMP — an artisan marketplace — featuring local food, beverage and retail as well as events. HqO will house a mix of 1776 and Machyne members, lease tenants and corporate and institutional partners.
Community Management & Operations:
- In accordance with 1776 policies and procedures, provide onsite direction for all aspects of day-to-day operations and programming, including building operations, staffing and asset owner relations.
- Produce weekly/monthly/quarterly reports, including sales, marketing and financial data.
- Manage the monthly P&L according to budget.
- Proactively gather data on members’ business objectives and identify resources or services that could help members achieve their objectives.
- Design and implement rules, guidelines and best practices for the community to optimize member experience.
- Host and conduct VIP tours, events, and meetings.
- Manage staff, consultants/independent contractors, and interns to execute on objectives and KPIs.
- Provide reports on staff performance to 1776 Leadership in alignment with cadence of reviews.
- Recommend professional development and promotion opportunities within the team of current employees.
- Serve as the key contact for stakeholders, clients, and sponsors; promote mission and priorities of 1776 at meetings, conferences, and events.
- Assist with creating and maintaining networks of entrepreneurs, mentors, professionals and funders, and act as a representative for facilitating strategic interaction with 1776 network membership to ensure continued commitment and engagement.
- Meet regularly with 1776 @ HqO staff, 1776 Leadership and the 16 Tech team to ensure proper integration of services and programming.
- Engage in the larger community of Indianapolis by attending events and networking with local start-ups and organizations.
- Establish 1776 @ HqO as a contributor and collaborator in the broader entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem in Indianapolis and Central Indiana.
Ecosystem Development and Intra-district Relations:
- Encourage the radiation of entrepreneurial activities to the Indianapolis and Central Indiana community.
- Oversee production of programming that supports and enriches the Indianapolis and Central Indiana communities.
- Coordinate with building and property management team to facilitate maintenance log and timely resolution of such across HqO.
- Coordinate overall HqO event and program calendar.
- Collaborate with management of Machyne and AMP to encourage cross functional membership and programming opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 7+ years small business or organizational leadership experience, with $1million+ profit/loss and staff management responsibility required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven multi-tenant facilities or hospitality management experience required.
- Previous management experience at an incubator or accelerator strongly preferred.
- Must possess strong knowledge of and connections in regional innovation and entrepreneurial sectors.
- Familiarity with the global innovation center sector a plus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Local candidates preferred. No relocation assistance available.
How To Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Managing Director, 1776 in HqO” in the subject line.
1776 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.